Tips For Choosing A Customs Broker
With the international trade policies changing frequently, it has become an essential part of import-export businesses to work with certified customs brokers. As he is responsible for facilitating smooth movement of consignments across international borders, he handles the complicated paperwork and formalities that are required to get the goods cleared through customs. On the whole, he deals with all the un-finished details between the exporter, importer and the administrative authorities.
However, as not all customs brokers are experienced or appropriate for your business type, here are some guidelines that will help you choose a good customs broker:
- Choose A Specialty Broker: If you are involved in the import or export of a specific category of products, such as food, textiles or automobiles etc., you should hire a customs broker with relevant experience. Thus, you should choose the one whose specialty blends with your requirements, as not all brokers are efficient in handling the needs of every industry.
- Positive References: It can be detrimental for your business to choose a wrong broker. Hence, it is recommended that you take references from the business owners around you. You should perform a thorough research of the customs broker’s past clients and their opinions. You can also search for customer reviews and testimonials online.
- Representation At Your Ports: Depending upon the size of your business, you may be importing or exporting goods from one or more ports in U.S. Choosing a customs broker who has representation at all these ports can save you a lot of time, money and efforts. This will also allow you to have a better control over your business operations.
- Automated Customs Broker: It is advisable to hire a broker who is constantly connected to the network systems, tracking sites and portals on which your business operations depend. You can gain a competitive advantage for your company by choosing a broker who has all the resources to expedite your shipment.
- Ability to Handle Quantity: If you own a big business that deals with a large volume of goods you should choose a customs broker who can accommodate your needs. He should be familiar with the technicalities and import/export requirements of your business so that the time and resources can be used in a judicious way.
For more information about customs brokerage services in McAllen, TX, you can contact us at Santos International at (956) 782 – 1320.